All That's Left

A blast at recent news and political events from a progressive and distinctly leftist point of view.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Take on Tucker

I sent this letter to Station WGBY last night, cc: the producers of the Tucker Carlson Show (tuckercarlson@weta.com)

Though I fully understand that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, I believe it's a greater truth that NO ONE is enttiled to his or her own facts. I am reminded of that truth tonight after having waded through the morass of deception, distraction, innuendo, spin and outright lies which oozed together to form "Tucker Carlson Unfiltered". Beginning with a diatribe against helping those most in need of our generosity, then continuing from Paul O'Neill's attempt to wriggle my retirement money from me, to Carlson and Frum ganging up on the unfortunate, (if heroic), Katrina van den Heuvel, to that embarassing puff-piece about why so few elephants were killed in the tsunami, Carlson reached one of the few true lows I have ever witnessed in broadcast journalism. (I use the term "journalism" here merely as a marketing category, not a description of what Carlson accomplished tonight). It sullies the tradition of fairness and balance established not only by "NOW" and "The News Hour", but by PBS' other conservative offerings over the years, (Firing Line and Tony Brown's Journal" come to mind as shows that inspired rational discourse through presenting contrary points of veiw.) How low we have fallen this evening.

Please stop this nonsense. I expect so much more of WGBY and PBS than to think that bowing to the pressure of the right-wing echo chamber the network has replaced a full half of "NOW" with this dangerous and deceptive sort of pseudocommentary. WGBY has the power to pre-empt or to re-schedule this show. I urge you to use this power as soon as possible as a service to your viewers and subscribers.

Mike Reynolds
Meriden, CT


I mentioned to some that I was planning a "conditional donation campaign" for WGBY in Springfield. I chose this station because they are small enough to listen, and hurting for cash. My plan is simple... I plan to call the station and offer to donate $250 dollars on the condition that they reschedule Tucker Carlson's show to Saturday Mornings at 8:30 AM.

Obviously, my small chunk of change won't do much persuading. In order for this to work, I need a lot of help. Anyone with me to strike a blow against the right-wing propoganda machine? Please comment on whether or not you think the plan has a chance of succeeding.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Cool, Marissa! Any other takers? We'll need around 20.

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm happy to join the Take Tucker Down a Notch campaign, if only in spirit. I just wonder if PBS and NPR are still worth fighting for, at least as news services. Keep up the good fight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home